Sleep is weirdly stigmatized.

This forum is for discussions that do not fit into any specific forum (yet). Posts made in this forum may be moved in the future.
Arc
Contributor

Post by Arc »

People say things like "I'll sleep when I'm dead" and stay up all night working on projects, wrecking their health, and that's considered normal. It doesn't make any sense. Sleep is a basic need.

gamanit
Contributor

Post by gamanit »

Yes, 100%. For some reason it's considered embarrassing to "need your sleep" as if being a sleep deprived individual is some kind of ideal to strive towards. I guess sleep kind of feels like a waste of time to many and it's hard to overcome that feeling.

virtuosointraining
Contributor

Post by virtuosointraining »

I don't think sleep is stigmatized. I hear people complaining all the time about lack of sleep.

Arc
Contributor

Post by Arc »

virtuosointraining wrote: June 28th, 2020, 12:06 am I don't think sleep is stigmatized. I hear people complaining all the time about lack of sleep.
Many times "complaining" is actually bragging.

virtuosointraining
Contributor

Arc wrote: June 28th, 2020, 12:27 pm
virtuosointraining wrote: June 28th, 2020, 12:06 am I don't think sleep is stigmatized. I hear people complaining all the time about lack of sleep.
Many times "complaining" is actually bragging.
When I complain about lack of sleep, I am actually tired.

gamanit
Contributor

Post by gamanit »

virtuosointraining wrote: June 28th, 2020, 4:11 pm When I complain about lack of sleep, I am actually tired.
Yes but often when people complain it's a way of saying "na na na na na I slept less than you" :)

virtuosointraining
Contributor

I think that's only kids. Although there is always some competition about whose worse off, like old ladies saying how much worse their medical conditions they have than the others.

LunchBreaker
Contributor

Post by LunchBreaker »

virtuosointraining wrote: June 30th, 2020, 1:01 pm I think that's only kids. Although there is always some competition about whose worse off, like old ladies saying how much worse their medical conditions they have than the others.
But with discussions about who's worse off, there are no undertones of "look at me, I'm superhuman".

Cranberry
Contributor

Post by Cranberry »

LunchBreaker wrote: July 13th, 2020, 10:23 am
virtuosointraining wrote: June 30th, 2020, 1:01 pm I think that's only kids. Although there is always some competition about whose worse off, like old ladies saying how much worse their medical conditions they have than the others.
But with discussions about who's worse off, there are no undertones of "look at me, I'm superhuman".
Sometimes there is. People brag about their resilience.

Half Asleep
Participant

Post by Half Asleep »

I'm always Half Asleep. At least when I'm on (in?) Yehupetz.

virtuosointraining
Contributor

Is it that boring?