George Washington

This forum is for discussions that do not fit into any specific forum (yet). Posts made in this forum may be moved in the future.
ChiefExecutive
Contributor

Post by ChiefExecutive »

Should George Washington count as one of the bad guys? He owned slaves, but he wasn't exactly pro-slavery. I say tear down all of the Confederate statues and the Andrew Jackson one--I'd prefer if they were placed in a museum, but they don't deserve that, really. But Washington shouldn't be seen as a part of that.

gamanit
Contributor

Post by gamanit »

As someone who already owned slaves as a child, it wasn't fully his choice to become a slave owner. He was born into that system and it seems like he tried to care for his slaves well according to the standards of the time. He even gave some guns to go hunting so if they would have hated him that much they could have shot him dead.

Cranberry
Contributor

Post by Cranberry »

Was it in his power to end slavery?

LunchBreaker
Contributor

Post by LunchBreaker »

I like George Washington. I think he did pretty well considering his time. We like to think that we would have done more against slavery had we lived in his time, but that's just self-flattery. How many of us are doing enough to fight slavery now? It still exists.