"Avoid ingredients you can't pronounce."

Cranberry
Contributor

Post by Cranberry »

I don't think it makes any sense. The difficulty of the pronunciation has nothing to do with the safety of the ingredients. If it did, "acai" or "ananus sativus" would be dangerous ingredients, but "rattlesnake venom" would be safe.

gamanit
Contributor

Post by gamanit »

True but overly processed ingredients are often difficult to pronounce

shpritz
Contributor

Post by shpritz »

The bottom line is stick to the basics: flour, water, sugar, carrots and ONIONS!

Cranberry
Contributor

Post by Cranberry »

"Allium cepa" is not that easy to pronounce.

LunchBreaker
Contributor

Post by LunchBreaker »

shpritz wrote: August 13th, 2020, 1:08 am The bottom line is stick to the basics: flour, water, sugar, carrots and ONIONS!
Why? Xanthan gum is safe and helps with texture. Agar-agar as well. Highly recommend.

shpritz
Contributor

Post by shpritz »

I have never used any of the above mentioned ingredients ... and I don't plan to either. My old fashioned recipes worked for many years and there is no reason to change anything.

LunchBreaker
Contributor

Post by LunchBreaker »

Xanthan gum, agar-agar and other non-traditional ingredients are great. They are especially useful in diet or otherwise modified recipes where you need to replace an ingredient that contributes to the texture.

Arc
Contributor

Post by Arc »

Mute people can't eat?

virtuosointraining
Contributor

Post by virtuosointraining »

I agree with the sentiment that is behind the expression (most of the time), but it doesn't make sense. Some people are very good at pronouncing things, while others barely know how to pronounce the words I used in this post.

shpritz
Contributor

Post by shpritz »

One of the magazines I read this week (forgot which) is actually doing a feature on simple recipes with simple ingredients...so there are more in this camp than you think.

Yankel The Goat
Contributor

Post by Yankel The Goat »

It's not only ingredients that people can't pronounce. Some people are convinced that MSG is little worms that eat at someones brain, but it seems like they are the ones that are affected by it.