Crio Bru preparation vs coffee

Cranberry
Contributor

Post by Cranberry »

Crio Bru is a beverage that is basically cacao beans brewed like coffee. The company claims that it can be brewed using anything typically used for coffee except for paper filters, espresso machines and Keurigs. I tried the Ecuador light roast with a double stainless steel mesh pour over, and it wasn't nearly as good as with a regular gold tone filter. Was it because the fineness of the filter makes it more like a paper filter?

shpritz
Contributor

Post by shpritz »

Never heard of it

Cranberry
Contributor

Post by Cranberry »

It's not that well known. I don't think I've ever seen it in a store; I ordered it directly from the website. I didn't even hear about the product. I thought of the idea separately and then Googled to see if it already existed.

Arc
Contributor

Post by Arc »

I looked at their website. They officially don't recommend paper because it is less porous, so it can overflow. That is clearly not the problem with the double walled stainless steel coffee filter. I think there is room to experiment here. Using a less porous filter can lead to a stronger or more bitter coffee, so it is a possibility with cacao as well.

Yankel The Goat
Contributor

Post by Yankel The Goat »

I once tried Crio Bru (brewed with a regular coffee machine with a reusable filter). I think it's much better than coffee.

virtuosointraining
Contributor

Post by virtuosointraining »

I also enjoyed Crio Bru, (just tried it out of curiosity), but it doesn't have nearly as much caffeine as coffee.

shpritz
Contributor

Post by shpritz »

Does it have caffeine?

LunchBreaker
Contributor

Post by LunchBreaker »

shpritz wrote: September 7th, 2020, 1:25 am Does it have caffeine?
I'm guessing yes, because chocolate does, but probably only a little.

virtuosointraining
Contributor

Post by virtuosointraining »

On the package, it boasts that it has less caffeine than decaffeinated coffee.

Yankel The Goat
Contributor

Post by Yankel The Goat »

I don't get all those " brewed things" I personally like instant coffee and cocoa better.