Pshat in a gmara Megilla 7b

This is a forum where you can discuss what you are learning currently.
ChiefExecutive
Contributor

Post by ChiefExecutive »

Does anyone know phsat in this gmara?
אמר רבא מיחייב איניש לבסומי בפוריא עד דלא ידע בין ארור המן לברוך מרדכי רבה ורבי זירא עבדו סעודת פורים בהדי הדדי איבסום קם רבה שחטיה לרבי זירא למחר בעי רחמי ואחייה לשנה אמר ליה ניתי מר ונעביד סעודת פורים בהדי הדדי אמר ליה לא בכל שעתא ושעתא מתרחיש ניסא

shpritz
Contributor

Post by shpritz »

No

Arc
Contributor

Post by Arc »

I'm sure someone does.

LunchBreaker
Contributor

Post by LunchBreaker »

The literal translation is that Rabba and Rabbi Zeira had a Purim seuda together, they got drunk, and Rabba shechted Rabbi Zeira. The next day, Rabba davened and Rabbi Zeira was brought back to life. The next year, Rabba asked Rabbi Zeira to join him for a Purim seuda again, but Rabbi Zeira said that such miracles are not a regular occurrence to be relied upon. (However, the Maharsha, for instance, does not interpret this literally, but says rather that Rabba urged Rabbi Zeira to drink excessively, and this caused him to nearly die. )

This has actually been read as bringing out two opposing points: That one must drink to the point of intoxication on Purim, and that one must not drink to the point of intoxication on Purim. Some say this is an illustration of how far one must go to fulfill the mitzvah of drinking on Purim, while others read it more as a warning not to go too far.

LunchBreaker
Contributor

Post by LunchBreaker »

I think there is also an interpretation that the incident happened more in a spiritual sense.

shpritz
Contributor

Post by shpritz »

I stand corrected and in awe. Looks like someone does know a lot!