Why is music theory so neglected?

Use this forum to share or discuss music.
Forum rules
No discussion of anything unrelated to music.
virtuosointraining
Contributor

Post by virtuosointraining »

I have often noticed people bragging about themselves or people they know, saying they learned guitar or another instrument by just picking it up and playing it. I think that is a wonderful sign of musical ability, but often people who play solely by ear can gain a lot by studying music theory. People who play solely by ear sometimes don't even realize their musical limitations, because they don't even know there's more to know. Basic music theory is not hard to learn, and knowing it can even make it easier to play well by ear.

Cranberry
Contributor

Post by Cranberry »

It can be a little hard to learn.

virtuosointraining
Contributor

To dig deep can be difficult, but some people don't even try to learn how to understand a page of sheet music.

gamanit
Contributor

Post by gamanit »

Some people have no aspirations in the musical field but rather play for fun only. Since they don't enjoy studying music theory they don't bother. Anyone who wants to pursue music seriously will usually learn how to at least read sheet music.

Cranberry
Contributor

Post by Cranberry »

It might be more fun as well for those who know music theory, but it's still hard to learn.

virtuosointraining
Contributor

There are some apps that make it easier. Also, I love the Circle of Fifths (and fourths)! Whoever thought of it was an absolute genius!